Approximately 1,150 volumes published chiefly in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, mainly in English, with some in Latin and French. Contents include some 23 STC items, 242 Wing items, eleven sixteenth-century continental books and 99 seventeenth-century continental books. The main subject is theology (including nineteen volumes of separately published sermons), followed by history, particularly church history. There are also books on science, including Newton’s Optice (1706), travels, antiquities, classics, dictionaries and grammars, and a run of the Gentleman’s Magazine, 1733-64. Most books are bound in plain contemporary calf. Some bear the inscription of Thomas Hawes (fl. 1679-1705), of Emmanuel College, Cambridge.
Primarily the collection of Henry Trotter (d. 1766), a member of Jesus College, Cambridge and rector of the parish of Graveley, near Ely in Cambridgeshire. Trotter bequeathed the library to his successors for the use of the neighbouring clergy. There are a few later additions.
Deposited by Jesus College, Cambridge (patron of the living) in 1960.
The pre-1700 English books in the collection have been catalogued online. For an overview of these, do a mixed classmark search on [Graveley Parish]. The entire collection has been catalogued on cards held at Jesus College, Cambridge; see the PDF files below (reproduced by kind permission of the Old Library, Jesus College Cambridge).
Perkin, Michael (ed.), A Directory of the Parochial Libraries of the Church of England and the Church in Wales, rev. edn. (London, 2004), p. 219.