The Psychology Collection is a leading national resource and includes the British Psychological Society collections. Visit the SHL / BPS Library page. The periodicals collection is especially strong. There is a collection of psychological tests and manuals.
Key areas include: animal behaviour, biological, child and adolescent psychology and psychiatry, cognitive, developmental, forensic psychology, health psychology, historical, hypnosis, mental health, methodological, occupational, parapsychology, psychiatry, psychoanalysis, psychotherapy, social and testing.
The Collection is complemented by Special Collections holdings of important early psychological texts dating back to the nineteenth century and earlier.
- Most books are located on the 6th floor.
- Psychological tests and manuals with the classmark (67) Office Tests will need to be requested from the issue desk (restrictions apply – please consult staff for more information).
- Recent issues of periodicals are on display in the Periodicals Room (North Reading Room), 4th floor.
- Most back issues of periodicals and some monographs are shelved in the stacks. These will display the location Stack Service. Please request these through the Catalogue using the Fetch Service.
You can search multiple journals and books at once using electronic resources such as the EBSCOhost Psychology Portal. This Portal offers simultaneous access to PsycINFO, PsycARTICLES, PsycEXTRA, PsycBOOKS and Medline (index and abstracts).
The Collection is complemented by an excellent range of Databases. These provide significant and rich digitised research materials. View list of Psychology databases.
- History, which includes sports psychology
- Philosophy for cognitive science and consciousness studies
- Special Collections for the Harry Price Library (works on psychical research)
Banner image credit
Hall, Freud, and Jung in front of Clark University, 1909 - image credit.