Romance Studies covers the study of the languages, literatures, and cultures of areas that speak a Romance language. They include the study of Spanish, French, Italian, and Portuguese. Additional languages of study include Catalan, Galician, Occitan and Romanian among others. These broad-ranging collections cover Romance linguistics, literature, and literary criticism.
The Germanic languages and literature collections in Senate House Library comprise literary texts written in the German language, including literature written in Germany, Austria, the German part of Switzerland. Its holdings also include sections on the Scandinavian languages, Dutch, Flemish and Afrikaans.
The greater part of the collection of the Germanic Studies Library consists of primary materials in the German language. Subsidiary collections on subjects such as other Germanic languages, philosophy, exile studies, film and theatre studies, history, art and folklore are integrated into its holdings.
- Most Western European Languages books are located on the 5th floor.
- The Germanic Studies Library is located in the Middlesex North Library on the 4th floor.
- Recent issues of periodicals are on display in the Periodicals Room (North Reading Room), 4th floor.
- Most back issues of periodicals and some monographs are shelved in the stacks. These will display the location Stack Service. Please request these through the Catalogue using the Fetch Service.
You can search multiple journals at once using electronic resources such as Bibliographie der deutschen Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft, or the MLA International Bibliography and Periodicals Directory
- View the list of Western European Languages databases.
- Latin American Studies
- Reference works including dictionaries, encyclopedias and guides are shelved in the reference section, Periodicals Room (North Reading Room), 4th floor.