Graveley Parish Library

The collection

Approximately 1,150 volumes (rather more titles) published chiefly in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, mainly in English, with some in Latin and French. Contents include some 23 STC items, 242 Wing items, eleven sixteenth-century continental books and 99 seventeenth-century continental books. The main subject is theology (including nineteen volumes of separately published sermons), followed by history and politics, particularly church history. There are also books on law, travels, antiquities, classics, dictionaries and grammars, science and medicine, including Newton’s Optice (1706), and a run of the Gentleman’s Magazine, 1733-64. Most books are bound in contemporary calf: specific binding features includes books without pastedowns, and books with authors or titles inked on the fore-edge. Some bear the inscription of Thomas Hawes (fl. 1679-1705), of Emmanuel College, Cambridge or other former owners.

 

The collector

Primarily the collection of Henry Trotter (d. 1766), a member of Jesus College, Cambridge and rector of the parish of Graveley, near Ely in Cambridgeshire. Trotter bequeathed the library to his successors for the use of the neighbouring clergy. There are a few later additions.

 

Acquisition

Deposited by Jesus College, Cambridge (patron of the living) in 1960.

 

Access

Catalogued online. For an overview, do a mixed classmark search on [Graveley]. English imprints to the year 1700 and all foreign imprints have been fully catalogued. Records have been imported from the ESTC for 18th-century English imprints; these books were catalogued from cards and do not include full subject headings or any copy-specific information.

 

Select publications

Perkin, Michael (ed.), A Directory of the Parochial Libraries of the Church of England and the Church in Wales, rev. edn. (London, 2004), p. 219.