The number of books you can borrow at any one time will depend on your borrowing allowance.
If an item doesn’t scan, it might be because it’s:
- for “Reference use only” within the Library
- you might have reached your loan limit
- or you may have a fine on your account
Checking your loans receipt will ensure your books have been correctly checked out. The receipt also shows when each item is due back. If you experience any issues, staff at the Service Desk will be happy to help. Please note that fines are charged for the late renewal or the late return of books. You can pay fines online via the University of London Online Store.
Most books have a four week loan period. Some of our more popular ones have one or two week loans. Reference items, journals, theses and books over 100 years old are ‘Reference only’, for use in the Library
You can also borrow books via our Postal Loans service.
How do you renew books?
You can do this online
- By logging in to your Library record, you will need your membership number to do this. Please be aware that fines are calculated when you return or renew overdue items, so you will not see any fines accrued on overdue items until then. Please check that all your books have been renewed successfully and do please take note of the return date. Note: If you have previously book-marked the login page please be aware it has been moved as part of a recent upgrade to the library management system. You should replace the URL in the old bookmark with this one: http://catalogue.libraries.london.ac.uk/patroninfo
By telephone during opening hours on 020 7862 8500, press option 3. (You don’t need your membership number to do this).
In person at the Service Desk on the 4th floor.
- Using a self-issue machine on the 4th floor. When renewing your books, please check to make sure all items have been renewed successfully. Your receipt will give your new due date(s) and indicate if the renewals have been successful.
- Carrel occupants can issue 20 books to the carrel. These are for use only within the carrel and are issued for one week at a time. Books may be renewed online by manually entering the details off of your carrel key ring fob - enter the carrel name e.g. carrel A the and full membership number on the fob, e.g. 01999 ......or by taking the books to staff at the Service Desk
Books returned or renewed late incur fines. It’s your responsibility to return or renew them on time. While every effort is made to contact readers, we cannot confirm or guarantee delivery of Library reminder notices.
Why can’t you renew a book?
- Another reader has requested it.
- There are fines or charges over £10.00 on your Library card.
- You were using your carrel allowance and your carrel occupancy has expired.
- You have another overdue book on your account that has been recalled for use by another reader.
- Your membership card has expired.
If your card has expired, but you are continuing your course, please visit the Membership Desk with the correct ID and staff will be able to renew your books.
Having outstanding books or fines on your Library account may delay the receipt of your final results and graduation.
If you have any problems renewing items, or if you wish to pay your fines in order to renew your books, please visit the Service Desk, or telephone the library on 020 7862 8500, press option 3 during operating hours (you don’t need your membership card with you to do this). You can also pay outstanding fines online via the University of London Online Store.